Larch and Kingfishers Classes

HG go to the Paralympics!

On Wednesday, we joined the whole school in a visit to the ExCel centre in London.  We were given our tickets to see the Paralympic sports taking place on that day. Once we had got through the security checks, we headed off to the toilets (of course!) and to fill up our water bottles. Then we were able to take our seats in the South Arena 1 to view the Boccia matches taking place. There were 2 Team GB competitors playing. Unfortunately neither were David Smith this time.

After eating our lunch and watching the Boccia, we headed off to the South Arena 2 to watch the Sitting Volleyball. The teams competing were Egypt and Bosnia. Before the match began, we were able to enjoy some music and a ‘Warm-up’ Commentator. We were all asked to pretend to play the bongo drums and some of us made it on to the big screens! (see the photos below).

The athletes were really inspiring in the skills they showed by moving around the court with ease and sending the ball over the net with determination to win. Bosnia were the clear winners by the end of the match.

Home Team Score Away Team
Egypt
Egypt
Final Result
0
3
Bosnia&Herzegov

Winner

Bosnia&Herzegov
team S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 team
17
16
22
Egypt Egypt
Bosnia&Herzegov Bosnia&Herzegov
25
25
25
Duration 22′ 22′ 27′
After our fantastic experience at ExCel, we made our way back to the minibus for our return journey back to school. The next day, we had a go at Sitting Volleyball for ourselves. We quickly realised it is much harder than the athletes that we had seen, had made it look!
We thoroughly enjoyed being able to be part of the London 2012 Paralympics – What an amazing, inspirational day we had!

3 Comments »

1. Sean Stirling (and Mummy) Said,

September 9, 2012@ 5:43 pm      Reply

I really enjoyed the Paralympics and eating my lunch while we were watching Boccia.

2. Tracy Donegan (Mary's Mum) Said,

September 11, 2012@ 9:35 pm      Reply

Wow, what wonderful colourful pictures, it looks as though you all had a great day and its lovely to see the pictures of you all having a go at sitting volleyball – I must give it a go myself!

3. Beverly Lawton Said,

September 18, 2012@ 5:44 pm      Reply

I am so jealous, lucky you to have gone to the Olympics 2012… you all look like you had an amazing time.. thank you HG, HVS, mC and everyone else.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI